Saturday, May 4, 2013

Chicken Sausage, White Bean, and Kale Soup


The other night, I needed to make dinner and didn't have anything planned.  I went through the fridge and freezer to see what was hanging around and found some chicken italian sausage and a bunch of kale.   I quickly looked to see if I had white beans, and score!  I didn't have much else, besides chicken stock, so I figured it was going to have to be good enough.  I didn't even have any garlic or onions! 

I was more than pleasantly surprised that this didn't need anything.  The flavor of the sausage melded all through the broth and this was perfectly flavorful.   The kids loved, Nico loved it, and I did.   I've made it again since with garlic and it was a nice note to have underneath all the other flavors.   A little sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top was a nice addition, too. 

Sausage, white beans, and kale are no shocking combination, of course.  I posted a kale and white bean saute last year that was perfectly complimented by pork.   But what surprised me was how packed with flavor it was with such simple ingredients.

I love having things like this that I can make with few ingredients for the end of the week, when the fridge is getting bare and its time to go shopping again.  

Chicken Sausage, White Bean, and Kale Soup

1 package chicken Italian Sausage, sliced into coins
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large bunch kale, stemmed and torn into small pieces
2 cans white beans, rinsed and drained
1 large box chicken broth

In a large pot, cook the Italian sausage until browned and cooked through.  Add the white beans and stir a bit until warmed.  Add the kale and cook until wilted.  

Once all the components have come together, add the chicken broth and allow to simmer for at least an hour, or as long as you need. The second time I made this, I had actually made it the day before, simmered it an hour, then put it in the fridge until the next day.   The longer it has to sit, the better the flavor, in my opinion.  


1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is soooo good!