Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Strawberry Milk

home made strawberry milk cook au vin

When I was a kid, I loved when my mom would by strawberry Quick milk.  It was a rare treat, but somehow better than chocolate milk.  When Evie was maybe about 3 years old, I bought her some strawberry powder one day, thinking we would both love it.  For her, I thought it would be a hit due to her love of strawberries and all things pink.  For me, I thought it was be a great nostalgic treat.   

Wrong.  It tasted so fake and cloyingly sweet, neither of us would drink it.   And, of course!  There is nothing natural about that stuff.  When I was a kid, convenience food was 90% of what I ate, since my parents worked a lot.   I don't know why I didn't even consider that when buying it.  I hate wasting things, so it sat in our cupboard until one time we moved and I threw the whole thing away.  I couldn't imagine giving it to someone to consume all that processed powdery sugar.
But for her birthday, I really wanted to make pink milk.  In the last year, I have been making our own chocolate syrup for chocolate milk, so I figured strawberry syrup couldn't be too hard.  I threw some strawberries in a pot with some sugar and water and let it reduce, then strained out the large pieces.  Viola.  Strawberry syrup.  It looked so pretty in the glass bottles with paper stripey straws at Evie's birthday party.  
I'll admit, I was disappointed that Evie still doesn't like strawberry milk.  Unfortunately, I have the taste for it now.  I can't wait for an excuse to make more!

Strawberry Milk

2 cups diced strawberries
1.5 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
milk

Place strawberries, water and sugar in a small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and let syrup reduce.    Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove any large pieces.

Add about 3 teaspoons of syrup to 1 cup of milk and stir.  Extra syrup can be stored in the fridge for 1 month.

Pin It

1 comment:

JV said...

And I can confirm that it was delicious and pretty!