Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chocolate Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Another week went by, our bananas sat on the counter and no one wanted to eat them.  They are hit or miss, these kids.  But I buy the bananas week after week, because they are the perfect snack.   When no one eats them, typically, I peel them, then toss them in the freezer for smoothies.  I had so many in there, though. Probably 6 or more.   So when four bananas sat on my counter this week, turning black, I decided maybe we could make some muffins.

I have a banana muffin recipe I really like.  I wanted to add chocolate chips this time too, and started thinking we'd just do something new.   When I came across a recipe that used a chocolate muffin base, I thought there could be nothing wrong with that!

It was very simple to come together.  I only used one bowl, which was perfect.  I opted to use half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour, but feel free to 1 cup of all purpose, it that's all you've got.  I made them again since the first batch, with applesauce in place of the butter.  The only thing I would recommend if you do that, is the spray the muffin cups with cooking spray.  I had a hard time getting the applesauce version out of the muffin wrappers.
Speaking of muffin wrappers, you'd think I'd keep cute little photo friendly wrappers in my house.  Seasonal, colorful, eye catching... nope.  Quite frankly, I was lucky to have any liners in the house, and Liam was pretty excited to see Lightning McQueen when he got his hand on a muffin!
Evie suggested we add peanut butter to them, because she likes peanut butter cups, and she likes bananas with peanut butter.  Smart kid.  I like the way she thinks.

Chocolate Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
recipe adapted from Hot Polka Dot

3 large, over-ripe bananas
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted (or 1/3 cup applesauce)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375.   Line a muffin tin with wrappers, and spray with cooking spray, if desired.

In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth, then add the sugar, egg and butter.  Mix well.  Over the bowl with the banana mixture, sift the flour(s), cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.   Fold gently to combine.   Add in the chocolate chips.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.   Transfer to a rack and allow to cool.
Pin It

2 comments:

JV said...

Love the Lightning McQueen wrappers!

Also, Evie is a genius.

I have the opposite problem, my little monkeys eat all of our banannas within 2 days usually. I have started to worry whether too much bananas are a bad thing..

Michelle said...

Potassium overdoes? I wonder how many bananas it would take!

Evie is a genius and it was delicious! We use the honey roasted peanut butter, so it was even more added sweetness.