Thursday, February 28, 2013

Speculoos and Banana Stuffed French Toast

Speculoos, Banana, French Toast
I know I said I'd post a few recipes from my daughter's birthday party, but I wanted to share this.  It's a completely indulgent treat, but so worth it.   Recently, Evie and I discovered speculoos.  Which is a spread made from cinnamon shortbread cookies (such as biscoff).  Evie just calls it cookie butter.  She calls the cookies "airplane cookies".

One of the first things I did with our jar of speculoos was to thinly spread it onto toast and top it with bananas.  Evie wasn't so much into the toast part.  She'd just ask for cut up bananas with a side of cookie butter.  But one day I took it a step further and made french toast instead.   Instant hit.

Evie would eat this every day for breakfast, but so far we've only had it once.  As a matter of fact, when this jar is gone, I think we'll have to take a break from it.  It's too dangerous.  I think I'd be willing to put this on just about anything.  

Speculoos and Banana Stuffed French Toast
2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 banana, sliced
2 tablespoons speculoos
2 eggs
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 teaspsoon vanilla extract

Spread both slices of bread with speculoos.  Place banana slices on one slice of bread, then sandwich the two slices together.  

In a wide bowl, combine the eggs, cream and vanilla extract.   Dip the sandwich in the egg completely coating both sides and letting the egg soak into the bread for a few minutes.

Heat a skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of butter.  Add the egg soaked sandwich the skillet and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side.

You could serve with with maple syrup, but honestly you won't need it.  The melty speculoos is rewarding enough.
Pin It

1 comment:

JV said...

I think I just gained 7 pounds looking at that..